Islamic Horizon seeks an Assistant Editor to help rebrand ISNA’s flagship publication.
Assistant Editor, Islamic Horizons Magazine
Send resume or inquiries to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) is looking for a dynamic, self-motivated individual to join our flagship publication, Islamic Horizons, as Assistant Editor.
We are looking for someone with a journalism background to help rebrand IH so that we can reach the next generation of readers. As the assistant to the editor, you will identify new writers and topics and participate in all stages of the publication process. IH is a bi-monthly print and online magazine with six issues a year covering everything from pertinent issues to what’s trending.
Our ideal candidate is familiar with SEO best practices, with impeccable attention to detail and a drive to better understand the complexities of the diverse range of Muslim communities and their ever-shifting landscapes. You should be able to deliver exceptional and informative content to grow our readership base.
Job Type: Part-time
Reports to: Editor
Location: Remote OR on-site at ISNA Headquarters, 6555 South 750 East, Plainfield, Indiana 46168
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in communications, journalism, or a related field
- Three years or more of work experience
- On top of what’s trending with Muslims ages 18 – 35 in lifestyle and entertainment, with a deep understanding of the issues that matter to them
- Knowledge of Muslim communities and organizations in North America
- Understands the Muslim nonprofit sector in North America
- Works with MS Office Suite, Google Suite, and WordPress
- Proven experience with writing, editing, and social media
- Excellent organizational, administrative, and communication skills
- Collaborate with the editor to research, plan and produce each issue
- Identify and assign writers to selected topics
- Work with writers to ensure requirements, style, and deadlines are met
- Liaise with the copy editor, and designer, ensuring deadlines are met
- Write, proofread, fact-check, and edit stories
- Suggest possible sources, improvements for pieces
- Select supporting material, like images and illustrations
- Follow current events and developments in North America and overseas and
- Use social media and SEO to optimize and elevate articles
- Provide administrative support to the editor
- Coordinate with marketing to maintain IH website
- Develop and execute a strategy to increase the magazine’s readership
Tell us what you think by joining our Facebook community. You can also send comments and story pitches to email@example.com. Islamic Horizons does not publish unsolicited material.